Jeskola Tracker - Volume changes do not work

ZeHa

Jeskola Tracker - Volume changes do not work

Post by ZeHa »

Hi there,

I try to recover some old songs (made over 20 years ago). In one of my songs, a sample is slowly fading in by using the command "02" ("Volslide up") with a parameter of 01 over a pattern with 64 steps. The sample starts with a volume of 00.

However, I hear nothing actually when playing this pattern back.

Is it possible that this is an incompatibility with the newest Buzz version? And what could I do to fix it?
onecircles

Re: Jeskola Tracker - Volume changes do not work

Post by onecircles »

I can't say specifically what's going on in your situation. You could try first isolating the sample, and making sure that it plays. Then try your commands on another sample, to make sure you have them right. If it still doesn't work I recommend you try to re-implement the effect in the original song using another tracker such as matilde.

In general, I have not found my .bmx to be very compatible across new systems. Old machines often times don't work any longer. Buzz is pretty finicky, and becomes moreso over time since it's old software and is not being updated.

I had one track that relied upon kibibu doof, and was completely unable to get that kick drum working again, although kibibu himself chimed in and said it should work. I ended up recreating the kick in another machine.

At this point, working with buzz is basically retrocomputing. I use buzz on windows 7 and everything works very well. I would be very leery of even attempting it on windows 10. Buzz is highly configurable, and in some ways I think that can make it fragile, especially across different systems and installations.