256-tap SINC resampling in open source trackers
256-tap SINC resampling in open source trackers
Not really Buzz-related, but tracker-scene adjacent. I had some free time today and implemented 256-tap SINC resampling in Schism Tracker and FT2 Clone, so they can now render classic XM, S3M, MOD or IT modules at decent quality
Some example files attached (won't be posting more).
- Attachments
-
- CAKETALO.mp3.zip
- (6.8 MiB) Downloaded 147 times
-
- NEWACIII.mp3.zip
- (6.5 MiB) Downloaded 121 times
-
- 2ND_PM.mp3.zip
- (13.22 MiB) Downloaded 155 times
Re: 256-tap SINC resampling in open source trackers
Huge respect for dedicating time to adding functionality to these trackers which are still beloved by so many. I know of at least one great musician who has produced truly outstanding released music with Schism tracker from time to time.
https://bogdanraczynski.com/instruments/
https://bogdanraczynski.com/instruments/
Re: 256-tap SINC resampling in open source trackers
this is what chatgpt came up with https://jeskola.net/jeskola_sinc_resamp ... latest.png
Re: 256-tap SINC resampling in open source trackers
The image looks amazing! Cheers guys.
Re: 256-tap SINC resampling in open source trackers
This sounds *really* great - I think, I'll convert all my mods (my own and the collected ones)....
I like the timing to switch from original to exact - comes in handy from time to time.
Thanks a lot for all the effort - great job!
I like the timing to switch from original to exact - comes in handy from time to time.
Thanks a lot for all the effort - great job!
Re: 256-tap SINC resampling in open source trackers
You're welcome. Looks like the Schism Tracker developer prefers not to integrate SINC256 into his app, so I ported the engine and the FT2 engine to Retromulator, creating an IT/S3M/XM/MOD core tracker standalone player and plugin with the SINC256 WAV/MP3 renderer. The core also includes several additional real-time playback features.
Windows download (free): https://www.discodsp.com/download/?id=36
Windows download (free): https://www.discodsp.com/download/?id=36
Re: 256-tap SINC resampling in open source trackers
The .MOD player creates a less separated stereo channel configuration from the original Amiga using a custom BassMX DSP algorithm. Any feedback on this is appreciated. Sounds good to me, but maybe it's a biased opinion
Attaching a classic MOD file for testing.
Re: 256-tap SINC resampling in open source trackers
Nice thing this Retromulator, really. Tested it and sound great, but I stick with what I know - FT2 at that point.
Tested a few synths, Virus etc. Stunning performance, amazing. But makes me feel so damn old....
Tested a few synths, Virus etc. Stunning performance, amazing. But makes me feel so damn old....
Re: 256-tap SINC resampling in open source trackers
Yeah, all other cores are nice, but mostly nostalgia. Even some Buzz machines sound better than those.
I have been working on the Tracker core today which is what the topic is about. 1.8.1 gains Loop In and Loop Out points, which you can set from the playing order with the F0 and G0 keys, or through host parameters and MIDI CC 20 and CC 21. A new Wait for Pattern End option, enabled by default, makes position keys jump once the current pattern finishes instead of cutting it off mid-play.
Basically, now you’ve got a live phrase sequencer
I have been working on the Tracker core today which is what the topic is about. 1.8.1 gains Loop In and Loop Out points, which you can set from the playing order with the F0 and G0 keys, or through host parameters and MIDI CC 20 and CC 21. A new Wait for Pattern End option, enabled by default, makes position keys jump once the current pattern finishes instead of cutting it off mid-play.
Basically, now you’ve got a live phrase sequencer