Pattern Clips

mute

Pattern Clips

Post by mute »

Just a random idea I had while working on someting and realizing how handy it would be to be able to recall sections of mix.. then thought, hell while at it, why not also make that into a ableton-esque clip player (button at bottom). The player thing is a cool idea, but im more interested in the clip idea/'add to sequencer here' part of it.

Note, the highlighted section of the sequencer to 'select' a region then make a clip of it

strobotone

Re: Pattern Clips

Post by strobotone »

that is one damn good idea !!

i was thinking about something related: to be able to mark sections of a sequence and then jump to if required.
this way we have a better overview on the different parts of the tune (mainpart, bridge, you name it)
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

that certainly is a great idea. did you implement it with a theme? i'm not seeing this in the latest build.
mute

Post by mute »

that's just a mock up to present the idea
outsider

Post by outsider »

Sounds like a smooth way of exploiting the potential AbletonLive-ness Buzz always had. +1.
nikto

Post by nikto »

Yep, it's a very smart workaround, i guess it was first introduced by Macromedia Flash, creating and reusing symbols. There was only one music tracker where it was partially implemented, Aodix.

I don't know why you mention Ableton though, I haven't seen there a feature that would create a single clip from selected many. The 'scene' thing does not quite implement this principle.
Dean

Post by Dean »

So basicly, this is a visual way to do what you could do with subpattern features?
maybe it would be nice if this sequencer mockup thing would also have a "copy to subpattern" feature...

at the moment I do like everyone else and copy+paste parts in sequence editor (works fine for me).
If I need to label parts of songs I simply add a column for a dummy-machine or master
where I make patterns which has descriptive titles, like "chorus" or "verse 2" and put these patterns the sequence editor column.
it's also a way of making notes, like "add x here" very oldschool way but works well :)

anyone who wants to add markers for group parts of songs and jump between them, livejumphack has been around for ages for buzz...
read the reviews of this wonderful machine: (including mute's ;))
http://buzzmachines.com/machineinfo.php?id=859

and there's a version for new buzz aswell:
http://btdsys.lazytrap.com/remository?f ... info&id=34

edit:

this being said, I do of course like the idea. But more important for myself would be a feature like "paste as new pattern(s)" (paste option, instead of just copy+paste existing patterns in new place in sequencer), if this would go with your idea, I'm sold! I've seen this suggestion before on buzzchurch in some form long time ago, and/or maybe other place. But I understand there are more feature-requests than time on the developer's hands. It would however make duplicating sets of patterns, or sections of a song, very easy!
so basicly, a duplicate "group" (or cliip) function... would be much cool.
would take away habit of duplicating tons of patterns when you want to evolve something involving many layers.
outsider

Post by outsider »

I don't know why you mention Ableton though, I haven't seen there a feature that would create a single clip from selected many. The 'scene' thing does not quite implement this principle.
Live 'scenes' are multiple clip arrangements that can be triggered from single play buttons. Is not the same but it does bring a close enough resemblance to me. Also the 'clip' concept as a (maybe) colored bar, graphically you know. Anyways, would be useful and cool if this Buzz clips (if they happen to exist in the -near :P - future) come in colors too. ;)
nikto wrote:There was only one music tracker where it was partially implemented, Aodix.
A great tracker.
mute

Post by mute »

the live clip part isn't mocked up, but its easy to follow: if sequencer arrangements can be stored into clips, then well.. they're already being stored, so a mixer/player that could also playback the clips, quanitized, upon keypress or midi, would be a logical next step.

no, they're not like subpatterns, clips are pattern orders saved from the sequencer, for mixing. subpatterns contain actual pattern data.

im more interested in pattern order clips for recall than a clip launcher because i often move parts around or work on sections only to delete some later, etc.. but its a related topic in technical terms. not to mention, it'd be nice to have a few backups of some sections of a mix incase i totally ruin them later.
nikto

Post by nikto »

If Buzz ever follows this concept, it can truly be a breakthough step. Because NO other daw (except Flash) has proper implementation of the clips\instances approach, even the Bitwig, afaik, has not planned this.

Buzz seems like it was meant for this from the start. I guess when Arguru designed Aodix, he had thought the same. (I remember back in 2004 was the only time when I seriously switched from using Buzz for, like, half a year, because Aodix's patterns within patterns workflow felt like a much needed logical step).
Dean

Post by Dean »

What is Aodix?

About clips, I've worked so much in buzz I tend to get used to "workarounds", anyhting which can make good for flow is obvsiouly good :)
I guess it could also be seen as a way to make a "sequence" or pattern template (much like machine view/gear template), or the ability to make a template
from patterns or sequence data without the generator itself. It's interesting.
Maybe some of the peer-state functionality could be built in aswell (you mention ability to recall previous mix)
Reefer Sutherland

Post by Reefer Sutherland »

This is a grrrrreat idea!

If I understand correctly, it sould be like a native LiveJump thingy?

Dean: http://www.aodix.com/
Dean

Post by Dean »

Reefer Sutherland wrote:This is a grrrrreat idea!

If I understand correctly, it sould be like a native LiveJump thingy?

Dean: http://www.aodix.com/
thanks for link, interesting...