Switch PCs -> machine goes out of tune?

Jay200MPH

Switch PCs -> machine goes out of tune?

Post by Jay200MPH »

Okay, here's a weird one... I was working on a song with Oomek's Aggressor 303 (oldschool!) when my primary music laptop (Win XP) developed a fault and I had to leave it with a repair shop. I borrowed a Win7 netbook and ported my Buzz installation over (installed Buzz itself new but copied all VSTs, machines, etc.)

I loaded the song up on the new PC and the Aggressor 303 is now a semitone + a bit too high? WTF? On both the new and old PCs the tuning setting is 0 (neutral). The rest of the instruments in the song are samples played via Mathilde Trackers, and they are still in tune.

I just tried it in a blank song against HD 3o3Real and Joachim+Argu's TB4005 VST and it was only the Aggressor 303 that was out of tune. I know this is an old instrument but it was working fine on the other PC. Any idea what's going on?

There is *just* not enough range in the machine's built in tuning to bring it back to the correct pitch, so this is pretty annoying. BTW the old PC had Buzz 1406, the new one has 1466.
Jay200MPH

Re: Switch PCs -> machine goes out of tune?

Post by Jay200MPH »

Here's a short example of the problem (BMX+recording.) All machine settings (including tuning obviously) are completely as default. Is it doing the same thing for anyone else?
Attachments
oo303-tuning-fault.zip
(65.42 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

It's no doubt due to the playback rate of buzz, it's probably at 48khz and Aggressor expects 44.1khz (View -> Preferences -> Config)
Jay200MPH

Post by Jay200MPH »

That fixed it! Thanks tons!
Didn't even think of checking the output rate.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

I spent like 8 hours one time trying to get the BPM set right for a remix and then I found out the WAV file was 48khz...
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Yeah we've all been there - that's how I knew what the problem was as soon as I saw it (though it took me many hours to pin point it myself when I had it :D )
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

mcbpete wrote:Yeah we've all been there
no, never ever :)
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

8 hours? Wow.

But it's not a lost effort. Just take the BPM count you found, and multiply it by 1.088435374 in order to speed it up corresponding to a change from 44100 to 48000 Hz samplerate.

PS: If you buy me beer, I'll tell you where I found that magical number!