Machine that does old style timestretching

mcbpete

Machine that does old style timestretching

Post by mcbpete »

Hi guys - Does anyone know of a native Buzz machine that does time-stretching effect that used to be used a bit in the mid to latter part of the 90s. It was a really mechanical sound that had this really nice timbre. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words but in this case I think it's a youtube clip that will explain myself best. The track is Nine Inch Nails - Self Destruction Final and the section I'm talking about is 1:25 - 2:06: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awVNkMBSsjE
double07

Re: Machine that does old style timestretching

Post by double07 »

You can do it simply with a tracker using the sample offset effect.

i.e. using Matilde as example on every row trigger the sample for as long as you want the sample to drag on then interpolate the argument... 00 = start, 80 = middle, and FF = end.

C-4 01 .. 09 00
C-4 01 .. 09 00
C-4 01 .. 09 01
C-4 01 .. 09 01
C-4 01 .. 09 02
C-4 01 .. 09 03
C-4 01 .. 09 04
C-4 01 .. 09 04
etc. etc.

For finer results you might need to increase the TPB to like 8 (or 16 if you're hardcore).
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Mmm, yeah I guess that's one way - Though am I right in thinking that's more granular time-streching than the method above which I think is an FFT timestretch.
thOke

Post by thOke »

mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Man I so need to use that more often, I completely forgot how versatile it is ... though if I remember rightly there's no time stretching as such and is more an effect to manipulate the FFT blocks - i.e. you can't play back a sample at a variable rate, I'm guessing only a generator would be able to do that sort of thing.

I guess I could use a combination of the offset command in matilde for the stretching along with the spectral manipulation that you get with DT BlkFx for the metal FFT sound ...
IXix

Post by IXix »

Playing a sample through a tracker at a very low pitch then using Unwieldy Pitch to bring it back up to normal pitch gives a pretty metallic sound.
thOke

Post by thOke »

mcbpete wrote:Man I so need to use that more often, I completely forgot how versatile it is ... though if I remember rightly there's no time stretching as such and is more an effect to manipulate the FFT blocks - i.e. you can't play back a sample at a variable rate, I'm guessing only a generator would be able to do that sort of thing.

I guess I could use a combination of the offset command in matilde for the stretching along with the spectral manipulation that you get with DT BlkFx for the metal FFT sound ...
Your right ... you have to playback the sample at another tempo with a tracker and then repitch it with Blkfx or another pitch shifter.
White Noise's Looper 2 has two 'stretch' modes, Zwar Dray also does some kind of of granular stretching ... probably you can achieve a similar sound with LD Grain !?
sparschaeler

Post by sparschaeler »

for pitchshifting don't forget antonio's bandwurm. it has a very clear sound.
it adds some delay to the sample, though, so you need to readjust the playback timing. i love it for the attack artifact it adds to samples.
mute

Post by mute »

the stretch method in that nin mix sounds exactly like the tracker method (offset+retrigger (which predates any other realtime method))

this conversation has reminded me of this http://archive.org/download/dot9.03/dot ... sion_6.mp3
KNAR

Post by KNAR »

That time stretch sound is a pretty iconic feature of the Akai s-series samplers. Ive heard a lot of people come pretty close to it with different trackers by setting the bpm to ridiculous speeds and extremely tedious sample offset programing. Basically, its a granular time stretch/re pitching thing much like Ableton does does to waves. The Akais had a fairly unique algorithm for that I hear so its not easily reproduced by other software by using the same method.
I haven't used this program much but I hear from many people who also have experience with the real deal that it is the closest you can come to the authentic Akai sound.

http://akaizer.blogspot.ca/

Unfortunately it only processes audio and exports it. But, it might be useful or fun.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

KNAR wrote:That time stretch sound is a pretty iconic feature of the Akai s-series samplers......

I haven't used this program much but I hear from many people who also have experience with the real deal that it is the closest you can come to the authentic Akai sound.

http://akaizer.blogspot.ca/

Unfortunately it only processes audio and exports it. But, it might be useful or fun.
Ooh nice, thanks for the info and download link. I thought it'd have to be quite a reproducible digital effect given the era it was made. Would be great to have a VST / plugin version of that application !
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

sparschaeler wrote:for pitchshifting don't forget antonio's bandwurm. it has a very clear sound.
it adds some delay to the sample, though, so you need to readjust the playback timing. i love it for the attack artifact it adds to samples.
by the way, where did you get "antonio's bandwurm" from? since i am unable to find it.
i would appreciate it if you could point me to a url. thanks !