Low-End Version of Buzz

wauterboi

Low-End Version of Buzz

Post by wauterboi »

I remember running the old old old Buzz and I loved it. It worked on this computer and I was make awfully pretty music. Due to my circumstances I'm a little unable to get the greatest computer for use with Buzz and I've tinkered around as much as I can to try and make a hacky method to victory, but alas it lags like crazy. So what I was wondering is if people would be interested in a much more low-end barebones what you need version of Buzz - that is no themes, remotely unnecessary graphics, or anything that's CPU-intensive and can take a toll on you making music.

It's just a thought and of course I'm not demanding it.
mute

Re: Low-End Version of Buzz

Post by mute »

I think you just described Buzz 1.2b

The modern Buzz isn't much more CPU intensive than old Buzz. It's more demanding in the memory department though, and requires a modern o/s.
Shytan

Post by Shytan »

Currently using Buzz 1.2b in Linux under wine. Works like a charm, and, after a while you kinda get used to things lile flickering machine view, "no undo" etc. Well, so far it's ok for me :) And yes, the 1.2 beta is very CPU friendly.
Jay200MPH

Post by Jay200MPH »

I have 1406 running on (among other things) a 10-year-old laptop with Windows 2000. It works fine, you can get it to choke on songs with reeeeeeallly a lot of machines but normally it's no problem. There's no way I would go back to Old Buzz.

The bright side of the missed years of development is that Buzz never went bloatware like so much other good software did. Compare to Renoise which is very slick and polished looking but you really need some horsepower to run it decently.
bahador

Post by bahador »

and what you will highly highly appreciate about the new buzz is the fact that what i call "explosion sounds" are now gone and you can safely and securely sit behind your box and do your tracking without being concern about anything. and you have to try it to see for yourself. it's a whole new place.

jay, renoise is not that tough on the cpu at least in my case it runs easily but talking about polished look, i don't think anything can beat the polished look of buzz. buzz is more like an addictive drug you should not try it and get used to it but when you did, even logic will look ugly to you.
Reefer Sutherland

Post by Reefer Sutherland »

bahador wrote:and what you will highly highly appreciate about the new buzz is the fact that what i call "explosion sounds" are now gone and you can safely and securely sit behind your box and do your tracking without being concern about anything..
Not true for me... I still get these.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

Reefer Sutherland wrote:
bahador wrote:and what you will highly highly appreciate about the new buzz is the fact that what i call "explosion sounds" are now gone and you can safely and securely sit behind your box and do your tracking without being concern about anything..
its not buzz's fault, its the buggy machines.
Reefer Sutherland

Post by Reefer Sutherland »

UNZ wrote:
Reefer Sutherland wrote:
Still, it's not gone :)
And for that matter, I get noise bursts even with machines comonly used by other people, not considered to be buggy..
One of these days, I'll do a proper investigation and sort out all machines that make my ears bleed...
mute

Post by mute »

Reefer Sutherland wrote:
UNZ wrote:
Reefer Sutherland wrote: Not true for me... I still get these.
Still, it's not gone :)
And for that matter, I get noise bursts even with machines comonly used by other people, not considered to be buggy..
One of these days, I'll do a proper investigation and sort out all machines that make my ears bleed...
Regardless, it has been severely reduced. Machine selection is the issue, pure and simple. Bursts that still exist through buggy machines today are typically caused by effects that either have serious denormal issues, or those that have issues with things such as internal feedback paths/delays that are improperly handled. Machines that cause 'bursts' nowadays are quite rare.

Commonly used, not considered buggy? How would that be determined? The only way to properly confront it yourself is to delete the cause machine from your Gear directory whenever you encounter an issue. But don't assume its science fact that said machine was the problem, dont preach against a machine like gospel unless you have details. Tip; it's usually an effect.

Final point: This isn't just a Buzz or Buzz machine issue. VSTs can cause these issues in Buzz just like anything else. Try searching for noise burst ableton, noise burst cakewalk, etc. sometime. Buggy audio code exists everywhere.