lots of crashes lately

szaszhareen

lots of crashes lately

Post by szaszhareen »

buzz has been crashing often for me lately, it's a huge bummer. :(

jeskola noise generator and polac vst are the only common elements I have noticed that are making my songs crash, so i stopped using noise generator (sadly, it is one of my favorite machines) and have tried to limit my use of vsts. it doesn't seem to be a specific vst making buzz crash, i've used firebird, oatmeal, dsk thor, many others. buzz crashes with all of them at some point and I'm having trouble pinning down exactly what it is that i'm doing that's making this happen.

I have the latest version of polac's loader installed and I'm running the latest version of buzz x86 on win7 x64. any suggestions you guys have for troubleshooting would be appreciated. :)
4516N41

Re: lots of crashes lately

Post by 4516N41 »

I would be bummed out to if this were happening to me but Buzz has been pretty stable for some time on my setup.

Those crashes do they also happen with your older songs(pre-crash era)? If so and most likely they will. Did it start after an update of buzz or polac vst? I haven't heard much complaints about crashes after the latest updates so it could be something else that you did on the machine around the time it started. Like other updates,upgrades or installs and such. You could try dependency walker to see if it is an dll issue. But without having your computer in front of me I'm just guessing in the dark. :(
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

I had some issues with ctrl-E crashing Buzz with certain VSTs a while back (I think it was MiniMogue variants causing it). Does it crash when you do something, or does it just seem to crash randomly?
vacuum

Post by vacuum »

I remember that when I first installed the new buzz, 2 years ago,
I had still some other older Polac-VST.dll's in my buzz folder, and had some problems.
I checked the older VST-zips and the latest VST-zip to know
what should be in the folders and what not.

(maybe this helps you out, I don't know...)
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

@4516N41: yes, there is a song that i originally wrote with the old version of buzz that this happens with. sadly i lost a lot of my old stuff so i can only confirm it with this one bmx. dependency walker is probably a good idea, i will try that.

@mridlen: the crashes happen exclusively when i'm "doing something", like adding a machine to machine view or editing a pattern. i have no problems if i'm just loading up a song and playing it, it only happens when i'm actively editing or changing something. i save a lot but wonder if that even helps because i might be saving the change that is making the crash happen. :/

@vacuum: i have ensured that i only have the latest pvst files installed correctly, but it's possible that i've missed something there. i'll double check and update the thread.

thanks guys :)
esp81

Post by esp81 »

Are you using the 32 or 64 bit version? Most synths have a noise generator these days, that really sucks about polac vst though. I haven't had a crash in over a year, I'm actually amazed at how stable the "new" Buzz has been for me.
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Did you install something (accidentally) in the last time, that messes up your computer? It doesn't have to be related directly to buzz, like a bad vst, may be some crappy software you downloaded.
Do you have set restore points in your windows system? Try them, to see if anything changes. Did you check the cpu consumption of your system – is there something unusual? May be you have to reinstall your system. I once had this problem of buzz being annoying unstable, a set up on a virgin system solved it.
Tiadiad

Post by Tiadiad »

I agree with Klangkulisse. Did you download an update for some vst lately? You said that this just started to happen so it has to be something that you did recently. A few months back I downloaded the latest VBC update and a lot of my projects that had it in them wouldn't just crash but actually shut down my pc. Start tracing back. Also try to remember what song did it start crashing on first, look at the date when you last modified it, try to remember what you could have done then. Hope you get it resolved man, I know how much this sucks.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

@esp81: i'm using the 32 bit version of buzz.

@klankulisse: you're probably right, i'm pretty sure this is a windows or plugin issue and not something with buzz. I probably need to back everything up and reimage this machine, i've had other issues lately. 3 years before needing to reinstall windows 7 is not bad i guess, when i used windows xp i had to wipe my computer and start over every year or so.

@tiadiad: it's probable that it is stemming from some new vst or random program that i've installed.

looks like it's time to back everything up and start checking restore points or just reinstall windows.

thanks for the suggestions all! :)