Pattern XP mod

UNZ

Re: Pattern XP mod

Post by UNZ »

mute wrote:you are... add more than one track and go to the last track, to the point track 1 is off screen even. now try to quickly go back to track 1. you can't. the alternative is holding the mouse key down forever and a day or the make-your-mind-melt awkwardness of shift-tab (mouse isn't an option here because there isn't a horizontal scroll bar.. and even if there was i think we can all agree on F'ing the mouse). Horrendous. And theres all kinds of intuitiveness about correct contextual home navigation. its not like its a new or unknown thing in the world of windows software. however, to make things easier ctrl-home alone probably would have sufficed.
i agree that keyboard navigation in your stated case is not optimal, and you can have all this, but don't hijack my home / end keys for this. yours is a far bigger edge case than moving to the start and end of the pattern. and i dont want double bindings on my keys.
lets just agree that pxp mod should have adjustable keybindings for EVERYTHING :)
mute

Post by mute »

also.. just so ppl don't fly off the rails or chahur doesn't get annoyed by our outrageousness.. me n unz are good buds. we can speak like this with each other and its all good.

it's not an edge case, you're just refusing to accept normal navigation. :lol:
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

here's some thought about how to judge usability of a pattern editor geared towards keyboard usage objectively (like mute briefly mentioned):
if your user feels compelled to use the mouse to do a task that's seemingly too complicated to do with the keyboard, and that task is a fairly common one: you failed to make it usable :)
mute

Post by mute »

yeah... lol @ shift-tab.. and by lol, i mean cry.
chahur

Post by chahur »

It's not very difficult to implement whatever you want about key navigation.
But what seems difficult is to agree about something.
So, if you want me to spend some time on this, it would be nice to work before that on a CLEAR proposal.

And yes, I can add a parameter "Keep the good old way keys were working before ...".

About the home key, I thought it was working now as mute suggested. I spent more time trying to understand what you wanted than programming it. If it's not, just tell me clearly what's wrong. I have very few time to do PXP programmation so I would prefer if what I did was useful.

About the pgup/down of UNZ, I will add a parameter to specify how much bars it moves. But I had no time yet. :cry:

Anyway, all suggestions are welcome. :)
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

It would be great to have 64 bit version :idea:
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

One thing that would be kinda awesome would be an alternative way of entering values in pattern view: double-click on a tick in param column to bring up popup where you can select from available range of values, with display showing decimal, hex, and (if available) text label.
mute

Post by mute »

convert first track from a mtrk export file to microbrute / minibrute SE sequence data;

http://pastebin.com/7eZxHDPC
Paul Eye

Post by Paul Eye »

Nice mod :)
I found a small inconsistency though: Ctrl+I does exponential interpolation and Ctrl+Shift+I normal interpolation (they're the other way around in the help file). Ctrl+R again does randomization, and Ctrl+Shift+R does humanization, for example (as in the help file).
synthphase

Post by synthphase »

I found a bug in the behavior of the "add / shrink" pattern commands. When you click the "shrink pattern" button it actually increases rows per beat and will let you increase it beyond the limit. You get a blank pattern when you do this.

It's my understanding that this command should keep the rows per beat the same and just lop off however many beats you have selected in the drop down. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. Some kind of restriction probably needs to be placed on the number you can lop off as well. For example, if you set it at 8 but only have 4 beats...

Also, I'm wondering.. Since you have all these great mouse controls, can you add double-click on param name to highlight it's whole column?
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

In the first place, I wondered (too), why Shrink seems not to be the exact opposite function of Expand.
But it makes sense, when you think of a case like this:

Creating pattern with 4 beats • 4 rows per beat = 16 rows
Expanding with factor 2, result: 8 beats • 4 rows per beat = 32 rows
Putting a note in row 17 (or any odd row number)
Shrinking with factor 2, result: 4 beats • 8 rows per beat = 32 rows
The note in row 17 is still there.
Changing the pattern properties to 4 beats • 4 rows per beat = 16 rows (as it originally was).
The note on formerly row 17 is gone, because there is no row 8 and a half!
So if Shrink would decrease to the former rows per beat setting, all data on odd rows would be gone.

But one could discuss, if shrinking a pattern to death is useful or not:

Creating pattern with 4 beats • 4 rows per beat = 16 rows
Shrinking again (2 beats • 8 rows per beat) = 16 rows
and again (1 beat • 16 rows per beat) = 16 rows
and again (0 beats • 0 rows per beat) = 0 rows
A pattern with no rows, which is still existing – as can be seen in the pattern overview on the right in sequencer view – but cannot contain anything anymore, often followed by a crash (for example, by clicking in sequencer view on that track, where the 0 row pattern belongs to).

May be, there could be a quick access to in- or decrease the rows per beat (with a warning when data will be gone) ... 8-)
mute

Post by mute »

the old buzzscript way of doing double time just doubled the pattern length then put an insert on every other step .. or for half time, delete. both ways are cool in their own right.
chahur

Post by chahur »

Paul Eye wrote:Nice mod :)
I found a small inconsistency though: Ctrl+I does exponential interpolation and Ctrl+Shift+I normal interpolation (they're the other way around in the help file). Ctrl+R again does randomization, and Ctrl+Shift+R does humanization, for example (as in the help file).
Thanks.
About interpolation :
Ctrl + I does interpolation according to the value set in the dropbox.
Ctrl + Shift +I does exponential interpolation in the way Oskari wrote it (I didn't change anything).
I will clarify the help file.
chahur

Post by chahur »

synthphase wrote:I found a bug in the behavior of the "add / shrink" pattern commands. When you click the "shrink pattern" button it actually increases rows per beat and will let you increase it beyond the limit. You get a blank pattern when you do this.

It's my understanding that this command should keep the rows per beat the same and just lop off however many beats you have selected in the drop down. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. Some kind of restriction probably needs to be placed on the number you can lop off as well. For example, if you set it at 8 but only have 4 beats...
I will correct the shrink so that it will not blank the pattern.
About the way it goes, the explanation of Klangkulisse is also mine.
chahur

Post by chahur »

New version available.
- Shrink pattern : do not collapse to 0.
- Shift octave shortcuts changes to Ctrl+Shift+SUBTRACT and Ctrl+Shift+ADD. (was interfering with base octave selection)

- Add tonality selection.
- Display notes out of tonality in red.
- Chord selection dialog show only chords in the tonality.

About tonality : if you select "none", nothing is changed.
If you select a tonality for the pattern :
- Notes out of tonality are displayed in red.
- Chord selection dialog shows only chords in the tonality.
Todo (someday ...):
- Analyse pattern to determine tonality.
- Shift, reverse, mirror ... notes according to tonality.
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Thank you!
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Oh boy... new stuff to play with. I'm taking a few months break from producing to do P90X (going to get ripped), and sequence a light show with DMXIS... but I think I can find some time to try out these new features. :)

:dance:
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

The more I use this mod, the more I like it :dance:

One small thing though: Would it be possible to add a bit of "whitespace" to the Chord Expert popup? I have my text displaying at 125% in Windows 7 (control panel > display > "Make it Easier to Read What's On Your Screen"), and as a result, the window looks like this:

With just a little bit of padding, I'd be able to see the "Current chord" text, and it would make my near-sighted life so very, very much easier!
chahur

Post by chahur »

River Cricket wrote:The more I use this mod, the more I like it :dance:

One small thing though: Would it be possible to add a bit of "whitespace" to the Chord Expert popup? I have my text displaying at 125% in Windows 7 (control panel > display > "Make it Easier to Read What's On Your Screen"), and as a result, the window looks like this:

With just a little bit of padding, I'd be able to see the "Current chord" text, and it would make my near-sighted life so very, very much easier!
It will be done in next update.
cbasstn

Post by cbasstn »

Awesome work chahur, thanks!