midi can't buzz

AlexJ

midi can't buzz

Post by AlexJ »

Hi all,
There are several problems with MIDI. And solutions from other topics are not working.
Machines that read MIDI themselves, e.g. Zephod AM-1, do not know the"key off"command, so, note starts and only stops when I press "stop" in the buzz window.
mC-1, PeerChord an dothers do not read the MIDI. However their parameters look good.
How to fix it?

I use the CME UF keyboard. All other soft works fine with it.
mcbpete

Re: midi can't buzz

Post by mcbpete »

On machines that have MIDI 'issues' I normally use Polac's Midi Bus II as a trigger machine for generating notes. What you do is right click the machine when it's loaded and choose 'Assign Machine' to point where it's sending notes to. You can also choose what midi channel it's listening to as well.
AlexJ

Post by AlexJ »

mcbpete

Alas, Polac Midi Bus doesn't work.

Each generator has the "MIDI Input channel" parameter. Why does not each generator really read MIDI if Buzz settings are ok? I think, it's all about Buzz MIDI settings themselves. I use also trackers, different VSTs, sequencers - all of them read the MIDI channel properly.*

There are too few MIDI parameters in Buzz menus :( maybe there is an .ini file with smth additional?

* - the only thing that Buzz is better than others: it "hears" even the special commands from midi keyboard - the sequencer buttons "play", "stop", etc... and they are assignable to machines parameters.
AlexJ

Post by AlexJ »

Hmm, I've got a tip on what's wrong. The "Polac Midi In" says "MIDI In Device is in use, try another one..." when I set its "MIDI In Device" parameter to my MIDI keyboard's name. So, it's busy, but I don't know, by what process or program. Of course, only Buzz is launched in the system.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Not used an external device in a while but I seem to remember that you have to do something completely counter-intuitive: You have to make sure that the midi-in and midi-out devices are unticked in your preferences. I seem to remember that when you use Polac ASIO as your output device it manages all that for you....

(as I say, I've not used it for a while so I could be talking rubbish)
AlexJ

Post by AlexJ »

Something new...

One machine, Zephod FMBell, work well, it understands key off commands too, but oly once. After restarting program, it's quiet. But: all the machines understand binding their sliders to keyboard's knobs, even if "channel=none" is set. So, Buzz reads badly only note commands.
esp81

Post by esp81 »

A lot of those synths you mentioned are 15+ years old, you're much better off with some free or paid vst plugins.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

esp81 wrote:A lot of those synths you mentioned are 15+ years old, you're much better off with some free or paid vst plugins.
Blasphemy! :lol:
But yeah, it sounds like he's digging around in some pretty dusty corners of Buzz. There are some great oldies, though, and high-powered newer ones like Qsamo (but, yeah, no denying there's a ton of nice VST/i stuff out there as well).
AlexJ wrote:There are too few MIDI parameters in Buzz menus :( maybe there is an .ini file with smth additional?
You've looked in Settings->MIDI, right? It sort of sounds like MIDI Filtering is not enabled or something.
It's odd that you're having so much trouble getting MIDI to work properly. Like, why isn't Polac MIDI Bus working for you I wonder (be sure to get the most recent Polac distro from this thread)