Buzz default pattern length

mute

Buzz default pattern length

Post by mute »

It would be cool if we could globally set a default length for patterns instead of just the 16steps.

Just sayin' ;)
ohmegah7

Re: Buzz default pattern length

Post by ohmegah7 »

i agree with this statement
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

I assume to remember, that someone once created an xaml(?)-file, to set the default pattern length.
I had it in my buzz set up once (may be in buzz or gear folder), but not anymore.
But I think, mute, you have a more comfortable solution in mind. And yes, I agree.

Speaking of pattern length: cool woul be also to override the maximum length of 8196 – just sayin' too ;)

8196 seems much (and it is far enough for creating most songs) but I was up with a 1 hour project using a mixio track in sequencer view for overall volume control of 26 BTDsys Audiotracks. I had to create a few 8196-patterns dealing with the interruption between those patterns while recording live volume data.
May be not an every day topic, but may be it is only a little adjustment for a coder, but a huge step for – oh no ... stop it :lol:
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

A longer max length would be incredibly helpful for things like BTDsys audio track which is limited to about 4 min at 16TPB. (Importing stem tracks for remixes would be what I'd be using it for)
chahur

Post by chahur »

Klangkulisse wrote:I assume to remember, that someone once created an xaml(?)-file, to set the default pattern length.
I had it in my buzz set up once (may be in buzz or gear folder), but not anymore.
But I think, mute, you have a more comfortable solution in mind. And yes, I agree.

Speaking of pattern length: cool woul be also to override the maximum length of 8196 – just sayin' too ;)

8196 seems much (and it is far enough for creating most songs) but I was up with a 1 hour project using a mixio track in sequencer view for overall volume control of 26 BTDsys Audiotracks. I had to create a few 8196-patterns dealing with the interruption between those patterns while recording live volume data.
May be not an every day topic, but may be it is only a little adjustment for a coder, but a huge step for – oh no ... stop it :lol:
In fact the limit is 65536 rows in the pattern.
If you set 8192 (the max length), it's OK but only if you set the Rows per beat up to 8.
Just try to set it to more than 8 and ... crash !
On the contrary, if you set the Rows per beat to 1, you can go up to 65536 rows in the pattern.
You can try by setting it to 8192 (the max in the dialog) and Rows per beat to 1.
Then use "Expand pattern" in the PatternXP mod to increase the size.
I don't know if this limit can be changed, but I'm afraid it's not "a little adjustment" ...
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

chahur wrote:In fact the limit is 65536 rows in the pattern.
If you set 8192 (the max length), it's OK but only if you set the Rows per beat up to 8.
Just try to set it to more than 8 and ... crash !
On the contrary, if you set the Rows per beat to 1, you can go up to 65536 rows in the pattern.
You can try by setting it to 8192 (the max in the dialog) and Rows per beat to 1.
Then use "Expand pattern" in the PatternXP mod to increase the size.
I don't know if this limit can be changed, but I'm afraid it's not "a little adjustment" ...
I expanded the pattern up to 1048560 (yes, over a million) with no crash, but after saving and reopening the file the pattern is gone.
I tried it with 65536 row pattern with setting 1 row per beat, the same. Buzz seems to save but reopening the file the pattern is gone too.

Setting 8192 rows with 16, 32, 64 or 96 rows per beat worked (96 seems to be the end here). Even such a weird data like 59 rows per beat works flawless.
So I think the real frontier lies still at 8192 rows, no matter how many beats per rows are set.
But of course the time length of one pattern could be stretched to 10 hours and 8 minutes setting 16 bpm and ticks per beat to 1 – but yes, that isn't too fast.

Working with Audio Track it is wise to set up the bpm and tpb right from the beginning of a project to a specified amount and not changing it anymore, because that messes up your arrangement (because the audio files wont fit anymore to your length of your patterns)
chahur

Post by chahur »

Klangkulisse wrote: I expanded the pattern up to 1048560 (yes, over a million) with no crash, but after saving and reopening the file the pattern is gone.
I tried it with 65536 row pattern with setting 1 row per beat, the same. Buzz seems to save but reopening the file the pattern is gone too.

Setting 8192 rows with 16, 32, 64 or 96 rows per beat worked (96 seems to be the end here). Even such a weird data like 59 rows per beat works flawless.
So I think the real frontier lies still at 8192 rows, no matter how many beats per rows are set.
But of course the time length of one pattern could be stretched to 10 hours and 8 minutes setting 16 bpm and ticks per beat to 1 – but yes, that isn't too fast.
You can expand as much as you want, but you can't do anything with it, just try to display the part after the 65536th row and you will see what I mean ... crash.
As I said, the structure of data to display (the rows) is limited to 65536.
Whatever you do (for example increase the beats per row), the limit remains the number of rows to display.
If you set 96 beats per row, the limit will be 682 rows. Add 1 and the pattern crash.

But I agree that, if the pattern with 65536 lines seems to work, Buzz fail to save it correctly.
tinga

Post by tinga »

If we use buzz in total automation, there are no limits, no patterns, or virtual patterns, 50% of music is a 4 bars pattern, looped for 3 minutes, so...
I saved a bmx with more than 23 000 000 ticks, it's 24h at 500 bpm, 32 tpb.
mute wrote:It would be cool if we could globally set a default length for patterns instead of just the 16steps.

I'm curious, what would be your favorite default length? 17, 1024, 11?
mute

Post by mute »

tinga wrote:If we use buzz in total automation, there are no limits, no patterns, or virtual patterns, 50% of music is a 4 bars pattern, looped for 3 minutes, so...
I saved a bmx with more than 23 000 000 ticks, it's 24h at 500 bpm, 32 tpb.
mute wrote:It would be cool if we could globally set a default length for patterns instead of just the 16steps.

I'm curious, what would be your favorite default length? 17, 1024, 11?
Since it'd be a setting; it'd vary on the project/signature/tempo, but the most common settings I imagine I'd probably set it to would be either 32 or 64.
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

It's stored as a word so the max is 65535 but I suppose I could change it in the editor.
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

oskari wrote:It's stored as a word so the max is 65535 but I suppose I could change it in the editor.
yippie! :dance: