new pvst beta (updated 03-Dec-2023)

boombaxx

Re: new pvst beta (updated 25-Dec-2014)

Post by boombaxx »

Hi noticed when comparing midi cc values between reaper and buzz that polac only displays 127 values rather than everything that reaper does. As i was trying to figure out midi cc value above 127 it does work just got to guess which cc it is. The best method i found is load up vst in reaper display the envelope section which lists all. Find parameter in the list where it is located and guesstimate the hex in buzz. Buzz however display the name of the parameter so it is just a case of comparing the 2 until you zero in on the parameter. The only annoying thing is that display at the bottom cuts the name because it is not resizable :idea:. BTW the Hex for next pattern and next bank in Spark le 2FF and 300 use +500 in the param value to change patterns :dance:
ags

Post by ags »

Not sure what you're asking, you can't really mean CCs since there are only 0-127 possible CCs.
If you mean VST params, take a look here http://www.xlutop.com/buzz/pvstdocs/main.html#17
mute

Post by mute »

i own a spark le, as far as the pattern switching goes you're doing it the hard way.

use the spark le midi assignment button to assign patterns to midi notes then use notes to switch patterns.

make sure your spark le is up to date because in older versions the midi note assignment for patterns was broke in spark le's interface (you could get around it by switching to the spark ui, setting them up then switching back..but as i said, its been fixed for awhile so that work around isnt needed anymore if you are up to date).

as far as parameters go for automation, use auto-learn. That's not fully needed for everything though because spark/spark le can record automation into it's own patterns.
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

Cannot see no midi assignment button on spark not there latest build as well
mute

Post by mute »

Click on pattern, hold CTRL and right click on a pattern #

The midi assignment box shows up, press the Learn button, press a midi note. If you don't have a midi keyboard, use buzz's KB button.
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Why can't I set bit depth in Polac Asio?
domtron

Post by domtron »

Don't mess around with bit depth,you don't want to sound lo-fi like those old trackers from the 80's?
Just kidding,try to use a plugin and reduce the bit depth and then you know what i mean :-)

Buzz bit depth is just fine,what you can change however is the khz (Kilohertz) range to more than 44 khz.
Many vst's do it internally (using oversampling) and you can leave the khz at 44/48 khz on your soundcard.
A higher khz range on your soundcard (means it is applied to any plugin in your session) push your cpu more.

Some old Buzz machines (or some vst's as well) can not change to another khz range so it maybe sounds weird if you change that to anything else than 44 khz.

Khz and the buffer size is what you can change in the polac asio driver option, you should be able to open your soundcard panel from there as well and change what you want to change.

A lower buffer size is helping for lower latency's, for playing with a keyboard for example but put more strain on the cpu.
There you need to experiment.
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

I want to increase it! %D

You can set it to 32 in polac wdm kernel streaming iirc...
mute

Post by mute »

onecircles wrote:I want to increase it! %D

You can set it to 32 in polac wdm kernel streaming iirc...
Bit depth is for recording, not playback. It is handled by the host and not the audio driver. It is meant for precision with recorded data and editing, not audible differences in realtime playback. That's why it is on the HD recorder and waveeditors, but not an asio output control panel. Some people get confused by this because of bit degraders (which has the effect of emulating low quality recordings / chipsets) and other effects that let you lower their quality via bit depth (which can have interesting outcomes in the calculations). Or people confuse it because of lower bit rates available to mp3 rendering, games, etc.

Sure, you have generic audio drivers like directx, wasapi, etc. that let you set bit depth but that is basically a legacy thing related to performance or interoperability between generic audio programs that do not have recording options themselves. ASIO as a "pro" standard says, you are in charge of that with your applications.. not the driver.

More or less. This is a pretty generic description.

Buzz has 16int, 24int, 32int, and 32float bit depth recording options and the wavetable supports a wide range of depths for sample playback.
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Very interesting, thanks.
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

Hi i have mentioned this before i keep getting plagued by device not connected when using polac asio. I have tried 3 different soundcards reset the audio driver. All the soundcards work fine in any other audio app just polac asio they don,t work. It works fine in wasapi but i cannot record any audio because you need polac asio in I have tried a clean install of buzz with latest polac. When i select polac asio i get device not connected and buzz crashes. I really don't get this because they worked fine before. Any help with this would be most welcome
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

Device not connected was Guitar rig mobile driver i did install guitar rig must have been installed with that. Something to watch out for :D :dance:
Shro0m

Post by Shro0m »

Hi Polac,

I was hoping you could shed some light on some questions I have regarding pvsti.

1. If I use pvsti and load a midi out channel/midivst, I can always access and enable the midi clock when I open the editor. If I load an vst synth editor (to control external midi synths/HW) which doesn't have a built in midi clock feature, the "send midi clock" option is no longer available in the editor, as you only see the parameters for the vst editor. I tried to send midi tempo from the pattern, but that doesn't seem to do anything. I'm guessing midi clock only exists in your midi "plugin?"/midivst which you load via pvsti, and not in the pvsti machine itself. Would it however be possible to add it to pvsti somehow?? Like a global feature one could enable?

On a related note, I have a MPC element (drum pad) which includes a vst sequencer (required as it's not a standalone mpc). The sequencer refuses to run/do anything unless I enter some continuous data in it's pattern (eg. C0's, or some pitch data on every tick). I'm guessing I need to do this, because pvsti is not sending the tempo otherwise?, or that the vst sequencer awaits for a midi clock..

2. This is probably a looooongshot, but would it somehow be possible to request a sysex preset dumps from external hardware via pvsti and store it in the bmx somehow? I assume it's not possible unless you know all the params for the synth, but I'll ask just in case:)

Keep up the good work!
68ST0X20

Post by 68ST0X20 »

I've just installed build 1500 and gotten a warning that Polac VST 1.1 is too old
I copied all the files from pvst_v1.1.10b30 but still get the warning ...what am I missing? Do I need to register the newer DLL somehow?
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

68ST0X20 wrote:I've just installed build 1500 and gotten a warning that Polac VST 1.1 is too old
I copied all the files from pvst_v1.1.10b30 but still get the warning ...what am I missing? Do I need to register the newer DLL somehow?
no, you didn't copy it right.
make sure to remove the old version, and unzip the new version correctly.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Recently updated to Windows 10 and unfortunately it seemed to break the VST bit of Buzz (scan.exe seemed to be the culprit, making Buzz refuse to load). Reinstalling polac with the latest loader and trashing the 'plugins.dat' in the PVST Data Folder seemed to make things load a-ok and I was able to re-scan my VST folder but alas now everything is in an 'unknown' folder in the machine menu (both VSTi and VSTs). The only time it seems to correctly populate the menu is if I choose a VST and then restart Buzz but .... I'm sure there's a quicker way of doing it !

I thought there might be a dodgy VST in my collection so made a test folder with just two self contained VSTs in it (by self contained I mean just a stand alone .dll with no dependency files or registry entries) and specified that as my exclusive VST folder in the Polac global preferences, but unfortunately the same issue - everything just gets dumped in 'unknown'.

Anyone know how I'd be able to fix the bad boy ?

Cheers,
Pete.
polac

Post by polac »

mcbpete wrote:Recently updated to Windows 10 and unfortunately it seemed to break the VST bit of Buzz (scan.exe seemed to be the culprit, making Buzz refuse to load). Reinstalling polac with the latest loader and trashing the 'plugins.dat' in the PVST Data Folder seemed to make things load a-ok and I was able to re-scan my VST folder but alas now everything is in an 'unknown' folder in the machine menu (both VSTi and VSTs). The only time it seems to correctly populate the menu is if I choose a VST and then restart Buzz but .... I'm sure there's a quicker way of doing it !

I thought there might be a dodgy VST in my collection so made a test folder with just two self contained VSTs in it (by self contained I mean just a stand alone .dll with no dependency files or registry entries) and specified that as my exclusive VST folder in the Polac global preferences, but unfortunately the same issue - everything just gets dumped in 'unknown'.

Anyone know how I'd be able to fix the bad boy ?

Cheers,
Pete.
Hi, my brother tested buzz with windows 10 yesterday, scanning worked fine and all plugins did show up. He copied the vsts directly to gear\vst though.

Are the scan.exe and the scan.x64.exe in your buzz folder and buzz\bin64 folder? Otherwise the scanning does not work. Perhaps the windows rights management is causing problems or antivirus tools who knows.

Another thing: As it seems the loader guis don't resize correctly with windows 10. To fix this you have to start Buzz in compatibility mode. I have to check what's causing this.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

polac wrote:antivirus tools
15 flipping years I've been using Buzz, why on earth did I not think of that ?! Yep BitDefender was blocking vst.exe and scan.exe. So even though the VSTs seemed to work fine, it just wasn't able to determine what kind of VSTs they were so couldn't put them in the right folder.

Eeek, sorry man - all good now - thanks for prodding me in the right direction :D

(and yes, I have far too many plugins !)
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

i suggest to use anti-anti-virus (the uninstaller)
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

Try using the ctrl to change midi assign on Spark le :oops:. Never realized that spark used keyboard shortcuts. Thanks Mute for the tip :dance: