Optical spdif multi channel out in buzz?

onecircles

Optical spdif multi channel out in buzz?

Post by onecircles »

I haven't ever actually utilized my optical spdif connectors, but I've heard some people say that optical spdif (toslink) can carry as many as 8 channels of audio. Using spdif in buzz is as easy as selecting it in preferences, but would it be possible to route machines through those 8 different channels to, say, a home theater system? I know there's a topic that concludes that buzz can be configured to use multiple outputs, I believe with the assistance of this or that machine. I'll have to check that out.

I've always been drawn to the possibility of using a lot of speakers live so that no driver is overloaded and the sound can blend in the room. The really expensive home theater setups could be loud enough for a mid sized venue, but even a low end setup would be pretty fun for a house show.

I'm not holding my breath, but if this worked it would open that possibility without my having to jump to a more pro level sound card (which I can't afford at this time).
Mozart von Robot

Re: Optical spdif multi channel out in buzz?

Post by Mozart von Robot »

Wait, Buzz can use multiple outputs? I can't even get it to use multiple inputs. Is that possible too? Is it possible to rout audio out of a buzz machine, into external hardware effects/samplers, and then back into Buzz?
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

SPDIF has two ways it can be used:
1) Uncompressed stereo audio (max samplerate not strictly defined)
2) Compressed audio codec at the samplerate and bitrate dictated by that codec (typically AC3 or DTS surround sound or in rare cases AAC audio.)

Option 1 is the one you'll be able to do with buzz, because Buzz cannot encode to these compressed formats on the fly. For method 2) to be possible, someone would have to write a machine that accepts 6 inputs, encodes them real-time, and outputs them directly to the digital output using the proper API calls to make the digital output switch to "compressed mode".

PS: The way to make multiple outputs work in Buzz is to use Polac ASIO out and insert his "Audio Out" machines. So you really wanna get ASIO to work.
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Option 2 would be soooooo coooooool %D

Thanks for the info :-)
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

%D
Is that some sort of Picasso smiley?
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Yes sir. His face all mixed up.
mute

Post by mute »

Joachip wrote: PS: The way to make multiple outputs work in Buzz is to use Polac ASIO out and insert his "Audio Out" machines. So you really wanna get ASIO to work.
Actually, it's Polac Output and Input machines. They automatically detect which type of driver you are using and what outputs/inputs are available. The old individual output machines from old Polac releases shouldn't be used anymore.

+Who asked if it Buzz does multi-in/out audio routing - Of course!!!