MIDI keyboard and Buzz - via VSTI only?

Mu_

MIDI keyboard and Buzz - via VSTI only?

Post by Mu_ »

Hi guys. Recently I have realised that I cannot play music with my midi keyboard nor put notes into buzz machines patterns neither record them. But I can play and record using vsti's ones. Formely I have created my pieces by using PC keyboard only so I wasn't aware of such a thing because I was just typing notes into a pattern. But now I'd like to play my tunes instead of typing them. Is there a way to do it?
Cheers.

Ps. Do I really need to use record function to put notes from midi into pattern? Can I do it directly - similar like from PC keyboard? It would make editing misstouched notes in tune much more comfortable and finally I would to make corrections using one MIDI keyboard instead of two MIDI and PC, also I would correct dynamics and other aspects of performance and not only correct just plain notes.
4516N41

Re: MIDI keyboard and Buzz - via VSTI only?

Post by 4516N41 »

Some gens like Qsamo can be played Via MIDI but the other native synths that don´t support MIDI can be assigned to Peerchord.

here are some of the generators I know can be played Via MIDI:

Gear

Trackers&Samplers: BassTracker(ATHCrash),Jeskola XS-1,Matilde Tracker,Zwar DS1(ATH),
Sample Grid: All
Blok

BassLineSynths: CafeBass1-2(No polphony),FireCracker(Ch1# Is Ch2*),Goldfish,PlatinumFish,T-weak(Dev 1# Ch 1#),Voidbass1-2
Additive Synthesys: Whitenoise Additive,
Am Synthesys: Zephods Am-1
Experimental: RectalAnarchy(ATH),
Fm Synthesys: 11-Fm(ATH),11-Fm1z,MX7(Ch1),PVoid,ZX7,Taurus
Granular Synthesys: LD-Grain(Ch1# Is Ch2*),ZnT VKR,
MISC Synths: SquareSpace(ATH),SineMod(ATH)

Organ: Magnus
PhysicalModeling: SlideFlute(Ch1# Is Ch2*),Zephods P-pluck
Retro Synths: Ht-700
SubtractiveSynthesys: ArpMan,Infector,Orange Kid,Primifun,Jeskola ES-9,Green Milk,Ld Padsyn,Ld Jacinth,Whitenoise Syn 1-2,CSynth,Synth R-Class
--------------------
Series

M-Synths: Whitnoise M4wII
VoidSynths: Voidbass1-2,VoidLead,VoidSynth
--------------------
PicoFlute,VibraSynth,Qsamo,Peerchord,Relativion,Jeskola Arpeggiator..........And probably some more.

Just check the attributes on some of them. Sometimes MIDI is off by default.

Ps. The ones with (ATH) Sometimes Crashed or behaved strange ;)
thOke

Post by thOke »

you can play almost any buzz generator live via midi.

1.) Add Polac Midi In - select appropriate midi input device and send midi to
2.) Polac Midi Bus II (Midi Bus I also works, but a little different) ... assign Midi Bus II to your desired Buzz Gen

optionally
3.) Use PeerCTRL to assign any parameter to any midi controller

mute

Post by mute »

Most Buzz synths and trackers support MIDI, you have to set the channels up in the machine's attributes. LD Padsyn, Infector, etc. all do.

MIDI routines were made more public after Buzz 1.2b was out, so machines from 1.2b development era (jeskola/geonik/etc. synths) and older, do not support MIDI. The newer/better the synth, the more likely it has MIDI support of its own. Always check for it in the Attributes area.

Also.. alternatively than what has also been mentioned, if you create a shortcut to a generator's dll, then copy that shortcut to your VST directory, you can load the Buzz gen in PVST (it has a Buzz machine wrapper). At that point you can use all the PVST MIDI features with the buzz dll. So if you find you can't live without MIDI on a Buzz synth that doesn't already have MIDI.. then that might be a good route for you.
Mu_

Post by Mu_ »

Cool. Many thanks to you guys for your responses and tricks. I'm during testing of them so I will report how it goes.
Cheers.
mute

Post by mute »

There's also Cyanphase's MC-1, which only requires 1 connection and not much setup. I haven't tried it in recent builds tho
4516N41

Post by 4516N41 »

mute wrote:There's also Cyanphase's MC-1, which only requires 1 connection and not much setup. I haven't tried it in recent builds tho
Yes I totally forgot about MC-1 :oops: . But there is one thing. You have to make a pattern for the MC-1 or it does not work (at least on my setup)

Hope it helps....
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

thOke wrote:you can play almost any buzz generator live via midi.

1.) Add Polac Midi In - select appropriate midi input device and send midi to
2.) Polac Midi Bus II (Midi Bus I also works, but a little different) ... assign Midi Bus II to your desired Buzz Gen

optionally
3.) Use PeerCTRL to assign any parameter to any midi controller

when i select my midi input device with midi in i get the error dialog "midi in device is in use, please try another one". how can i remedy this?
ags

Post by ags »

You can't have it selected as Buzz's input device to use it in PeerCTRL
tinga

Post by tinga »

IX split also records midi keyboard, and many goodies with velocity, you can keep the patterns and change the generator, and of course split your keyboard :lol:
mute

Post by mute »

ags wrote:You can't have it selected as Buzz's input device to use it in PeerCTRL
I don't know why this is the case for some people.. is it a SoundBlaster thing? I've never encountered these problems with my midisports.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

mute wrote:
ags wrote:You can't have it selected as Buzz's input device to use it in PeerCTRL
I don't know why this is the case for some people.. is it a SoundBlaster thing? I've never encountered these problems with my midisports.
some drivers just don't accept multi-client, others do....kinda like with asio
Mu_

Post by Mu_ »

mute wrote:[...]
Also.. alternatively than what has also been mentioned, if you create a shortcut to a generator's dll, then copy that shortcut to your VST directory, you can load the Buzz gen in PVST (it has a Buzz machine wrapper). At that point you can use all the PVST MIDI features with the buzz dll. So if you find you can't live without MIDI on a Buzz synth that doesn't already have MIDI.. then that might be a good route for you.
Well... it won't work. First of all it can get only one note at a time. Second issue is it cannot play slide notes - compare Jeskola Bass. Reason seems to be simply this vsti-buzz trick relies on using vsti's pattern which doesn't reflect properties of pattern of native machine. Thats why I deleted all shortcuts to dll's.
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Mu_ wrote:
Well... it won't work. First of all it can get only one note at a time. Second issue is it cannot play slide notes - compare Jeskola Bass. Reason seems to be simply this vsti-buzz trick relies on using vsti's pattern which doesn't reflect properties of pattern of native machine. Thats why I deleted all shortcuts to dll's.
It works! See the little black grounded field with the white numbers on the machine (marked with green circle)? You have to set the first number from default 1 (= single voice) to a higher level by dragging it via mouse to let's say 4 (= four voices) or anything you want resp. the machine has to offer.

There you go playing chords or slide notes ;)
Attachments
select voices.jpg
mute

Post by mute »

I wouldn't suggest it if it didnt work.
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

the most simple solution is using the MIDI Channel option from the Attributes menu i think, if the Machine supports it.
this way you just need to select the Machine you want to play then.
(also see the activated Machine in the MIDI combobox in the toolbar / requires Settings > MasterKeyboardMode = True)

mC-1 is really neat. never used it before. thanks !
beuze

Post by beuze »

mute wrote :
same error message with my Delta Audiophile 2496
beuze

Post by beuze »

tinga wrote :
IX split also records midi keyboard, and many goodies with velocity, you can keep the patterns and change the generator, and of course split your keyboard
The machine really looks interesting, notably the possibility of keeping the patterns. Can you explain the basic procedure for the MIDI keyboard input?
Generally speaking,I find that for machines full of features as this one (or, for instance, the Polac VST loader of which I use only very few of her possibilities but think it is already unique!) videos would be useful.
Mu_

Post by Mu_ »

Klangkulisse wrote:
Mu_ wrote:
[...] Second issue is it cannot play slide notes - compare Jeskola Bass. Reason seems to be simply this vsti-buzz trick relies on using vsti's pattern which doesn't reflect properties of pattern of native machine. Thats why I deleted all shortcuts to dll's.
It works! See the little black grounded [...] There you go playing chords or slide notes ;)
Well - IT DOESN'T WORK. As I wrote before - it can't work at all because polac's pattern doesnt reflect buzz pattern.
There is such slider in vstited ;) version of buzz machine which allows set slide lenghth but ther is no such place in pattern for inserting ending note.
This is not only only about this slide note - because different machines have their own features which won't be reflected by standard polac vsti pattern which always look the same - no matter, what machine do you use. Many of old buzz machines are good damn ones and I don't want to resign from them and theirs goodies.
http://wrzucacz.pl/file/5371335918365/p ... t_work.bmx

And another thing at the end - why I have to type notes from PC keyboard or to record them /with or without using different tricks/ in order to place them into pattern - instead of inserting them into pattern from midi-synth or keyboard just like using regular PC keyboard? Recording is a good thing but sometimes you may be not so fast/good for live performance or you may wand just do editing short part of your piece. It may be two-three notes in one place another two in another one or it can be even the same notes with different velocity or another articulation. Does Buzz can read notes with theirs parameters from midi input?
Cheers.
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Well, Jeskola Bass is is a special case, because you can not access the slide length in the parameter window of the machine either. There is a parameter-slider that is labeled as "slide length", but it has no effect by dragging it at all, even when the sliding note is set in the pattern. And indeed, you have to set it manually in the pattern (I suppose, thats why that parameter-slider does not exist anymore in jeskola bass 3). So you can not play sliding notes with Polac-Loader.
Another reason is, that the slide information in jeskola bass is given at the same time with the starting note, a pretty unique way. In all other machines, where you hit the first note and then hit a second to slide to it (for example infector), it is playable with Polac-Loader.

But at least you should have been able to play chords by setting the polyphony. ;)