Page 1 of 1

Detecting VST3 plugins

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:00 am
by Grids
I am using BuzzSetup x64 2022 Edition
I realised that some of my VST3 plugins, e.g. Surge, GR-8, TugGlicento... are not being detected. I have double checked that I have the correct VST3 folder listed in preferences. I have also rescanned my folders for VSTis etc.

I saw this post here that is specifically about Surge VST3 : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2426&hilit=surge

I wondered if anyone had any insights.

Re: Detecting VST3 plugins

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:07 pm
by UNZ
VST3 are always installed to a standard folder, no need to add it manually, maybe that actually causes these issues?

another thing you can try is the SCAN SHELL button (with the vst3shell options), as VST3 support is itself implemented as a shell in PVST afaik

the standard folders are:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

32-bit VST3 plug-ins on 64-bit Windows:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3

Re: Detecting VST3 plugins

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:01 pm
by temporalsounds
@Grids
Hi , this bmx is saved in buzz 32 bit with surge VST and GR-8 ,can your buzz open it ?
EDIT:Your Buzz should be able to load it,doesn't matter if you can not see in VST list in buzz.Just check, if you have it in that folder what UNZ detailed.
EDIT 2 : Try to scan again '' vsti3shell .x64 .dll ''
image:Image

Re: Detecting VST3 plugins

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:52 am
by Grids
Thanks. I could open your file and GR-8 worked but it still didn't show up on the right side or with the search inside Buzz.

I allowed the installer to put the files in the correct spot and checked they were in the correct location.

I tired scan shell.

Strange.

Re: Detecting VST3 plugins

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:48 pm
by UNZ
just to be sure: you're checking in the VST3 folder from the right click menu, right? They only show up there. They should show up when typing in machine view though...

Re: Detecting VST3 plugins

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:32 pm
by polac
I currently redo the vst shell scanning, new shell plugins will be detected automatically at startup scanning. It's slightly slower because only new plugins will be scanned.

Re: Detecting VST3 plugins

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:18 pm
by UNZ
polac wrote: ↑Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:32 pm I currently redo the vst shell scanning, new shell plugins will be detected automatically at startup scanning. It's slightly slower because only new plugins will be scanned.
awesome!!!!

Re: Detecting VST3 plugins

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:27 pm
by polac
Yes it was annoying. :mrgreen:

Re: Detecting VST3 plugins

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2026 1:39 am
by Grids
Hi, just revisiting this post because I still cannot get VST3 plugins to work properly. With so many great new plugins only being offered in VST3 format this is starting to be annoying.

I have tried in both Buzz (64 bit) and Rebuzz (64 bit). I have reinstalled Polac and double-checked file structure etc.
VST3 files are in correct location and Reaper detects VST3 files correctly with no issues.

I don't have a menu (like in the image from the response above) when I click Scan Shell.

I can't see VST3 plugins in right menu or when I type in an example VST3.

When I search manually for a VST3 file from Polac in Buzz, I cannot access any as it only seems to search for DLL (e.g. VST2).

I could access Surge and GR-8 only when I downloaded your bmx file. I am so confused. When In did this, they still did not show up in right menu etc.

It appears that others were using Buzz 32 bit when accessing VST3 files.

Any thoughts or ideas.

Re: Detecting VST3 plugins

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2026 8:48 pm
by HerrFornit
Hi Grids,

I can confirm the bug of PVST loading vst via BMX although not in the list. That happens to me when I changed the path of vst folder using ReBuzz

I am not sure about the vst3 issue. But I had similar problems. Maybe deleting the PVST vst list files snd full rescan helped. Via preferences of PVST or manually via file Explorer I do not remember.

Re: Detecting VST3 plugins

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2026 11:04 am
by chahur
Hello
I have a vst3 (effect), for the first time. Installed in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3.
Filename : xxx.vst3
I added the path in Polac Parameters.
Did a rescan.
But nothing is showing, neither in the message at the end of the scan nor in the popup on polac vst plugins.
Last version of Polac vst installed.

What am I doing wrong ?
Thanks for your help :-)

Re: Detecting VST3 plugins

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2026 11:25 am
by Grids
HerrFornit wrote: ↑Mon Aug 03, 2026 8:48 pm Hi Grids,

I can confirm the bug of PVST loading vst via BMX although not in the list. That happens to me when I changed the path of vst folder using ReBuzz

I am not sure about the vst3 issue. But I had similar problems. Maybe deleting the PVST vst list files snd full rescan helped. Via preferences of PVST or manually via file Explorer I do not remember.
Thanks for your suggestion. I tried but no success unfortunately.

Re: Detecting VST3 plugins

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2026 7:34 pm
by HerrFornit
Well, in Case of using w11 IT could be prob of smart app Control or Access rights in the program folders. Not for Chahur of course, he ist using Linux . :)

I found an older cause at discord lolokimono reported. If the VST3 folder contains a subfolder using the string '.vst3' in IT the vst3 ist Not listed.
Renaming that subfolder part e. G. to _vst3 was a workaround..

Did you both do a shell rescan only, too?

Perhaps IT IS worth to ask at discord there, too.

PS sorry for upper Case Letters. Smartphone.

Re: Detecting VST3 plugins

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2026 8:10 am
by chahur
I had directories with .vst in it. Changed the name, but no luck, none of my vst3 shows.
Nothing to specify ? 32 or 64 bits are OK ? No parameter hidden somewhere ?
Seems strange to me that I installed 3 vst3 effects and none of them are there.

Re: Detecting VST3 plugins

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2026 11:18 pm
by Grids
Update: Buzz now detects VST3 plugins on my Buzz 64 bit. Not sure what worked, but I opened Buzz one day and it was detecting and using VST3 plugins well.

Also, prior to this, I found this interesting plugin for hosting CLAP, VST3 and others as a workaround. https://github.com/DISTRHO/Ildaeil