[SOLVED] scales and chords, major, minor, is this correct?

AndersBrontosaurus

[SOLVED] scales and chords, major, minor, is this correct?

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

I know basically nothing about music theory but I've watched Snowglobes demos.

Can someone confirm if my setup below is correct? note 0,2,4 with major or minor scale. Does that mean that I can play the entire octave up and down without anything getting wrong? When I press keys c and v (notes e and f) I hear no difference in the minor scale.

Last edited by AndersBrontosaurus on Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boombaxx

Re: scales and chords, major, minor, is this correct?

Post by boombaxx »

Use ctrl H to input chords and arps. Select the note ie c4 in the first column and then press ctrl H. And what ever you have selected in the drop down boxes will be inputted to the pattern
tinga

Post by tinga »

I know basically nothing about music theory wrote:I know basically nothing about music theory
So, Scale Walker is for you, I can't your picture but in C Major, the chord rule 0 2 4 6 gives harmonization of major scale if you play note C, it gives CM7, D Dm7, E Em7, F Fm7, G G7, A Am7 and note B gives Bm7/5b, I say to my students that they have to memorize this, but with scale walker, if you know your addition tables, it's enough.
Lucky.zip
(28.57 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
AndersBrontosaurus

Oh. Thanks for helping.
Miss with photo. Will update.
AndersBrontosaurus

Just updating with photo...

The qustion was: Can someone confirm if my setup below is correct? note 0,2,4 with major or minor scale. Does that mean that I can play the entire octave up and down without anything getting wrong? When I press keys c and v (notes e and f) I hear no difference in the minor scale.

AndersBrontosaurus

Oh, and Tinga, that GetLucky1 is so incredibly beautiful. <3
I just can't find that hihat anywhere. Not on buzzmachines. Care to share it?
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

AndersBrontosaurus wrote: The qustion was: Can someone confirm if my setup below is correct? note 0,2,4 with major or minor scale. Does that mean that I can play the entire octave up and down without anything getting wrong?
Your setup looks fine (I assume you have the scale rules there because you're changing back and forth between major and
When I press keys c and v (notes e and f) I hear no difference in the minor scale.
You might not hear a difference sometimes between two input notes due to the fact that ScaleWalker takes an input ('trigger') note and does its best to rectify it into the current scale+tonic setting. So, for example, if your tonic is C and you send a C# trigger, but C# happens to be an accidental (out-of-scale note) for your current scale setting, ScaleWalker might decide that C is the best in-scale approximation for your C# trigger, and playing a C followed by a C# would result in the same output for both triggers.

Now, having said all that, I don't think that fact should actually come into play for e vs f triggers with the setup you have there, so I'm puzzled as to what is going on. When I test it, e and f produce different chords.

And having said that, while looking into this I just decided there actually was something I didn't like about the way ScaleWalker was choosing the closest in-scale note, so there is now a new version available to try (replace ScaleWalker and SnowglobeCore).
Last edited by snowglobe on Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

Incidentally, you might notice that if you play a series of chords in quick succession you can sometimes end up with notes cutting out. This happens when have the same note in two overlapping chords, i.e., you play a chord and hold it, play a new chord that has one or more notes in common with the first chord, then release the first chord, sending note-offs to those in-common notes -- even if you are holding the second chord, any notes it has in common with the first chord will drop out.

There's a trick you can do to allow fast chord progressions without this being a problem, and that is to send the individual notes of the chords to separate machines. You can do this in ScaleWalker by checking the 'Honor MIDI Filters' box and then using Track-Channel associations.

(Obviously you can't take advantage of this trick if you put all the notes of your chord into one rule -- here's an example where you can hear the cut-out problem)
AndersBrontosaurus

snowglobe wrote:
AndersBrontosaurus wrote: The qustion was: Can someone confirm if my setup below is correct? note 0,2,4 with major or minor scale. Does that mean that I can play the entire octave up and down without anything getting wrong?
Your setup looks fine (I assume you have the scale rules there because you're changing back and forth between major and
).
And suddenly this thread became so much more informative than I would have thought.
Just one question though to clarify... Snowglobe, a word is missing in your reply. Do you mean changing between minor and major? Because that's what I need to know.
By the way, your work is awesome.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

AndersBrontosaurus wrote:
snowglobe wrote:
).
Just one question though to clarify... Snowglobe, a word is missing in your reply. Do you mean changing between minor and major?
Yeah, I left out "minor" there.
AndersBrontosaurus

Sweet. Then I close this thread for now, :-)