Hard Disk Recorder and "Eye Candies"

Buzztler

Hard Disk Recorder and "Eye Candies"

Post by Buzztler »

Sorry for this ... Subject, ... I like the new possibilities of "skinning" almost everything in the new Buzz ... looks very nice 8-)

Due to the change of the menu in the latest Buzz-built most of the old overloader features are out of reach, 'cause they simply disappeared from the menu :?

I know ... shame on me :roll: I use still an "overloaded Buzz" 'cause I miss some of the awesome features it deals with: The noiseburst-protection, which is an important feature since I made the experience how harmful noisebursts in Buzz can be ... it still works in my setup, but i can't reach the parameters, the extended Hard Disk Recorder was sometimes still my favorite, 'cause it could record fast in ogg, mp3(!) and other formats and I could change the bitrate by click ... The new wave-recorder has an awesome render feature, which works also on older hardware ... thats fine (imo) ... but can we record in anything else than *.wav, or is ogg etc. just mentioned in the menu of the new harddisk-recorder and where is mp3(!)? I also know that overloaders-midi to buzz is almost obsolete now but does someone know if Cyanphase is still working on Overloader-features ... or what features are planned for the harddisk-recorder or "noisburst-protection" in new Buzz:?:
UNZ

Re: Hard Disk Recorder and "Eye Candies"

Post by UNZ »

overloader is dead

get "over" it ;)
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

I recommend exploring the "save as type" options in the hdrec save as dialog.
Buzztler

Post by Buzztler »

Thank you for your fast reply Oskari: O.k. I tried yesterday-evening to record in something else than *.wav ... I wasn't able to select any other "working" codec than *.wav ...
1) It seems I cannot handle this feature correctly ... will try again

2)perhaps it is obsolete to record in some other codecs as long as there are a lot of free programs on the web that can do the job to switch the wav-file into another format ;)

Please built in a feature like the noiseburst-protection in the new Buzz ... if it is possible ... this would help me to "come over" the overloader :cry: :) ;)
mes

Post by mes »

most of the noise burst problems seem to have been fixed with newer versions of buzz..I haven't heard one in over a year. but I usually just stick a limiter on the "master channel" anyway.
Dean

Post by Dean »

mes wrote:most of the noise burst problems seem to have been fixed with newer versions of buzz..I haven't heard one in over a year. but I usually just stick a limiter on the "master channel" anyway.
actually with some machine sequences combos, they are quite common. I can't say exactly what though...
I don't remember how it used to be in oldbuzz, but they can appear when you open up a song and play it for first time,
or for example, when a machine activates for first time (in sequence or "live").
If you know a song might do this, just make sure to keep a low volume when you open it, so nobody gets hurt.

this is a guide how to survive a burst - when it happens, do this:
1 lower the master volume to as close to zero as possible (but not zero, as that will stop the audio flow)
2 you can have small bursts, but when you get the "real deal" you will have the meters showing just black,
with the master volume to almost zero, you will just wait a little (some seconds, don't know how many,
maybe up to 20) until the peaks start appearing again in the master meter, when they appear, you can
gradually start raising the volume as they fade out...
3 rock on!

only some machine-combos can generate bursts, so what mes say is mainly true, you are probably safe overall in new buzz!
mes

Post by mes »

I think it really depends on what machines you are using...it's only when I try using an older machine (like pre 2004) that it has happened for me on the new buzz builds.
Dean

Post by Dean »

mes wrote:I think it really depends on what machines you are using...it's only when I try using an older machine (like pre 2004) that it has happened for me on the new buzz builds.
yes, it's really about which machines... I tend to use certain old machines because of a certain sound which they create, so I do bring it on myself... :)
Reefer Sutherland

Post by Reefer Sutherland »

I get noise bursts all the time...

It bothers me, but I also know there's nothing I can do about it.
So, I just say a prayer before i load a song and keep the cursor on the volume slider...
bahador

Post by bahador »

One of my biggest mistakes in the old days was using the buggy machines (effects and generators) and blame any issue on buzz, now that I don’t use those machines anymore I haven’t experienced any crash or noise burst for more than a year. So first of all if you could talk about the machines you usually tend to use, in the forum and people may report if the machine is in the black list or not, other than that I recall there was a seminar over the web years ago by one of the old buzz developers (don’t recall his name) and he showed a trick back then to add a clipper at the very end of each chain on each track. That will do the trick and will save your ears in first place from any noise burst.
Buzztler

Post by Buzztler »

O.k. it seems everyone has its own experiences with noisebursts ;) I had two terrible ones, first one: I listened to one track in a loop, I relaxed on the sofa and after a whole bunch of correct(!) loops suddenly "Bang", problem is I'm almost paralyzed if it happens and not able to pull my headphones down fast enough.
The next one happened during a live recording with "all knobs to the right - heavy metal". This one wasn't funny :D

Well, I'm just wondering about: what makes it so difficult to integrate such a feature similar to the overloader in the "New Buzz" ... Oskari did everything that the old-files and machines load fine and we can listen to bmw/bmx, even if some machines are missing!
You really think there is no need or possibility to integrate such a protection-feature?! Come on, it is better than putting almost every old machine on the blacklist! Or simply enable the overloader features again?

If someone loves noisebursts u can make the possibilty to enable it, by deactivating the protection ...!
But ... I'm not a coder at all ... and I'm a very bad "whitehat" too ... ;)

Peace ...
bahador

Post by bahador »

As mentioned in the forum, overloader was coded for the days that oskari had stopped developing buzz or his HDD crashed, but now that he is back on the set again there is no need to have the overloader back again.

I used to be highly obsessed with some of the old generators and effects and finding the truth that they may barely work in proper way was a bit hard but hey you should do the same and get over it, and also most of the developers of those old machines have moved on and you may hardly get a hold of them to fix the bugs here and there. so basically what I’m trying to say is not to rely on something which is so yesterday and is not fixable anymore.

But since we both share the same pain (of course I used to do) you may name some of the machines you mostly use and maybe we can give you some equivalents and closer options to them.

And the last thing, cuz I can claim I have lost 20% of my hearing to those lovely things about the old buzz, stay away from the speakers and take a listen in the lowest volume possible cuz those lovely crashes and noises are even loud enough to shock you (and your ears) on the lowest volume possible. But again I do feel your pain and bad luck you have to get along with it.