Sequencing a MIDI synth

mridlen

Sequencing a MIDI synth

Post by mridlen »

What is the best way to sequence an external MIDI synth? I have never done this from Buzz and I am somewhat confused about this. Also, is there any way I can do this so that a MIDI file can be exported and then imported to another program for recording?
lantern

Re: Sequencing a MIDI synth

Post by lantern »

I've thought about the same thing. Some insight for this please! :evil:
mute

Post by mute »

For controlling synths, PVST -> Polac MIDI Out plugin

As for exporting midi, you can click the 'new' sequencer (the one in pattern editor view) and export tracks to MIDI
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

anyone have a link to polac's midi out? it doesnt seem to be included in the latest installer. thanks!
nikmis

Post by nikmis »

It should be part of this installer
http://www.xlutop.com/buzz/

I use it all the time for recording analog gear via a midi to control voltage converter.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

I have the latest version - the only "outs" included in the installer are polac out and polac out II, which appear to be audio outs. could you perhaps upload the midi out dll and link to it? that would be awesome :D
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

szaszhareen wrote:I have the latest version - the only "outs" included in the installer are polac out and polac out II, which appear to be audio outs. could you perhaps upload the midi out dll and link to it? that would be awesome :D
Polac MIDI Out is there, but you won't see it labeled as such any more. Instead, look for the name of your MIDI device(s).

a) by typing some letters of the name

or

b) If you have your index file set up just so, look for a MIDI submenu

szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

thanks for clearing that up. I've got my midi interface loaded in machine view, and polac out loaded. midi send is set to the out machine. midi out channel is set to 1, midi out's midi input channel is set to 1. I also found my midi interface in buzz midi out preferences and checked the box there.

it seems like there's a step i'm missing here - shouldn't i need to tell polac out where to send the midi data? at this point i'm not sure what to do next. i've set up a pattern to send a note and it's looping, and the midi activity leds on my interface are dark, so i don't think i'm sending any midi data at this point.

i've used midi yoke to send midi data into buzz before, but this is my first attempt at controlling outboard gear with buzz, so any further advice would be great! thanks :)
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

szaszhareen wrote: midi send is set to the out machine.
MIDI send from what machine? Did you not use a pattern of the Out machine itself? Anyway, it seems like sending from another PVSTi should work, if things are set up right ...
I also found my midi interface in buzz midi out preferences and checked the box there.
Actually, doing that and using PXP MIDI note column (needs to be added manually for most gens) should probably be enough (without using Polac MIDI Out) - amirite, people?
it seems like there's a step i'm missing here - shouldn't i need to tell polac out where to send the midi data?
Polac MIDI Out machines are device-dedicated, so no.
at this point i'm not sure what to do next. i've set up a pattern to send a note and it's looping, and the midi activity leds on my interface are dark, so i don't think i'm sending any midi data at this point.
First thing I would try is probably to uncheck your MIDI device in Buzz prefs, put notes in a pattern of the actual Out machine and run that, see what happens.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

snowglobe wrote: MIDI send from what machine? Did you not use a pattern of the Out machine itself? Anyway, it seems like sending from another PVSTi should work, if things are set up right ...
the midi send i'm referring to is the one found on the right click menu of the midivst instance of my midi interface. right click>midi send>polac out. since midi out does not have a note column, i did not use its pattern, and the midi notes i've input are in the pattern for the midivst instance of my interface. currently, the out machine is not connected to master or any other machine. should it be?
szaszhareen wrote: I also found my midi interface in buzz midi out preferences and checked the box there.
snowglobe wrote: Actually, doing that and using PXP MIDI note column (needs to be added manually for most gens) should probably be enough (without using Polac MIDI Out) - amirite, people?
Thanks for pointing out the midi note column, i didn't know that was there. i think the main thing i dont understand right now is what it is that's supposed to be sending the midi data to my midi interface, which i have initialised in an instance of midi vst. my hardware is set to channel 1, so i'd like to send data from buzz to that channel. I'll also uncheck this from the buzz midi out preferences going forward. should anything be checked in this dialog? i have microsoft gs wavetable synth, midi yoke 1-8 and my usb midi interface available.
snowglobe wrote: Polac MIDI Out machines are device-dedicated, so no.
I'm still a bit confused here, which machine is sending the midi data: the midivst instance of my midi interface, or polac out, which appears to only send audio?
snowglobe wrote: First thing I would try is probably to uncheck your MIDI device in Buzz prefs, put notes in a pattern of the actual Out machine and run that, see what happens.
the polac out i'm using does not have a note column (i just updated to the latest pvst install). i tried opening the pxp column tree for the out machine and checking the midi note box, but i'm unable to do so. is there another out machine i could be using?

thanks for taking the time to help me troubleshoot this, i really appreciate it! :)
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

szaszhareen wrote: the midi send i'm referring to is the one found on the right click menu of the midivst instance of my midi interface. right click>midi send>polac out. since midi out does not have a note column, i did not use its pattern, and the midi notes i've input are in the pattern for the midivst instance of my interface. currently, the out machine is not connected to master or any other machine. should it be?
:?: A "Polac Out" machine won't help you get MIDI to your device (I'm not even sure why it would show up as an available target in the MIDI send menu). As you surmised earlier, Polac Out is for audio.
szaszhareen wrote: Thanks for pointing out the midi note column, i didn't know that was there. i think the main thing i dont understand right now is what it is that's supposed to be sending the midi data to my midi interface, which i have initialised in an instance of midi vst.
"which I have initialised in an instance of midi vst" :?: . The machine you want to be working with should be labeled with the name of your USB interface -- 'Tascam US-144L" or somesuch.
I'll also uncheck this from the buzz midi out preferences going forward. should anything be checked in this dialog? i have microsoft gs wavetable synth, midi yoke 1-8 and my usb midi interface available.
Leave everything unchecked for now.
snowglobe wrote: Polac MIDI Out machines are device-dedicated, so no.
I'm still a bit confused here, which machine is sending the midi data: the midivst instance of my midi interface, or polac out, which appears to only send audio?
Addressed this above.
snowglobe wrote: First thing I would try is probably to uncheck your MIDI device in Buzz prefs, put notes in a pattern of the actual Out machine and run that, see what happens.
the polac out i'm using does not have a note column (i just updated to the latest pvst install). i tried opening the pxp column tree for the out machine and checking the midi note box, but i'm unable to do so. is there another out machine i could be using?
Addressed above.

It should be this simple.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

snowglobe wrote: It should be this simple.
If only it were! :lol: here's my setup:

i included the buzz midi "LED" in the picture to show that there is no activity. I have a pattern in pxp with note data, and midi note data. it's looping, but there's not much going on. if i right click on the tascam us-144mk2 and click "midi send" here's what i'm faced with:

if i add polac out or out II to machine view, they show up in this dialog as something I can send midi to, which is why i gave it a shot earlier. polac waveout device required? is that what i'm missing here? i'd assume that anything i'd need would have been included in the latest version of the loaders.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

szaszhareen wrote: polac waveout device required? is that what i'm missing here? i'd assume that anything i'd need would have been included in the latest version of the loaders.
Should have checked earlier -- use Polac ASIO in Prefs -> Wave Output.

(And to be absolutely clear, you don't need to use the MIDI send menu).
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

SUCCESS! thanks for walking through that with me, i figured it was something obscenely simple. i was having a bit of a mid(i) life crisis there. :oops:

Thanks again for the help! :D
syphilissauna

Post by syphilissauna »

hey so ive had this weird problem where my interface isnt showing up in the list of available midi outs . (its a fasttrack 2 ) ive worked around it by using midi yoke .. anyone else had this problem tho ? when I go to config polac asio in the pref menu i change the midi out to the fast track but it switches back to out to midi yoke ..
polac

Post by polac »

syphilissauna wrote:hey so ive had this weird problem where my interface isnt showing up in the list of available midi outs . (its a fasttrack 2 ) ive worked around it by using midi yoke .. anyone else had this problem tho ? when I go to config polac asio in the pref menu i change the midi out to the fast track but it switches back to out to midi yoke ..
Does it work after rescanning the midivst.dll via the scan shell button in the loader preferences?