Synth dreaming..

mute

Synth dreaming..

Post by mute »

This would be cool.

Osc 1 - saw, p/w - traditional...
- Sub Osc .. yadda.

Osc 2 - looped sample/waveform that changes speed (but not pitch (optional) in relation to Osc1 cycle speed/pitch
- freq
- noise types, saw
- subdivider, 1, 1/2, 1/3,...4....etc.
- random %

Mix - none, cross mod, osc, whatever.

Filter stuff.
Env stuff.
Amp.

Check out the bass on this song, and listen to the zipper sound/speed change along with the bassline pitch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_fIGvP_9MM

One of the ways I do it in buzz is to use cyan's mC-1 or other similar peer note controllers. that peer is the main sequence. It targets the note params on mtrk2 and a bass synth. Mtrk has a wave/click/cycle set to loop. Bass synth is bass. Would be cool to have a custom buzz synth for this... A buzz synth for buzz. Buzz Bass.
AndersBrontosaurus

Re: Synth dreaming..

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

Now...sorry for going OT... Mute = Graham Lewis?
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

That's a cool track, mute.
And yes, the zipper/clicky sound is interesting.
mute

Post by mute »

AndersBrontosaurus wrote:Now...sorry for going OT... Mute = Graham Lewis?
lol.. i sometimes wish. he and bruce gilbert have had quite creative lives.
mute

Post by mute »

Joachip wrote:That's a cool track, mute.
And yes, the zipper/clicky sound is interesting.
:) Kibibu Capsicum can be similarily quite interesting (and came about in similar conversation), but not the same thing. I suggest those not familiar with it to check it out.
synthphase

Post by synthphase »

I'm not listing on very good speakers, but I'm venturing a guess that it may be less complex. Just a dual osc, with one playing an impulse-like waveform and pitched way down might give similar percussive, glitch effects and not be noticeably pitching up or down. It's variably filtered too so it's even harder to tell if it's pitching up or down or just changing speed.

My first thought was BTD Pulsar for creating single cycle wavelets that are pitch/speed independent.
mute

Post by mute »

That's not what it is, but that's a novel idea that hadn't occurred to me... I'll see how decent I can make it. FSM infector lets you use wavetable waves too,.. so I've done similar things in that, plus granular (pitch->grain length) and countless other things. I havent messed with pulsar in awhile and it would seem to cater to this really well. The dream is just for a specialized cheater easymode synth :P You would think someone out there would have something like a "zipper bass" vst or some generic crap like that, but not that I've found...havent looked in awhile though. There are some hybrid FM/Granular things out there that would also probably work, but I haven't downloaded any yet (dunno if theres any good free ones).