layers explanation

syphilissauna

layers explanation

Post by syphilissauna »

been messing around with new layers options in wavetable and I think I might be misunderstanding the point of it . so yeah im loading a wav into the first slot then hitting add layer and using the lower arrow to try and add more wavs to that one slot but then when i use a unwieldy tracker or something to play that first slot its still just the initial wav . . are the "layers" not a way to have multiple samples occupy one sample slot ?
UNZ

Re: layers explanation

Post by UNZ »

add layer doesn't work yet

use the lower << to add more sample layers to a slot
syphilissauna

Post by syphilissauna »

oh ok . but eventually the << will layer up multiple samples to one slot correct ?
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

Fri, Sep 12, 1997
- Wavetable changes, new wave file format. Waves can now contain multiple levels* sampled at different note.

(* levels=layers)
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

syphilissauna wrote:oh ok . but eventually the << will layer up multiple samples to one slot correct ?
no, the upper << will continue to do what it does, replacing the whole slot.

the lower << adds the sample to the slot as a new layer.
you can also just drag the sample to the layer pane.

do you happen to use a custom theme or something, because i think you still didn't understand what i mean.

also: you need to set the root note of the layers to be different from each other, since current trackers like utrk or mtrk are unable to play multiple wavs with the same root note.
syphilissauna

Post by syphilissauna »

Wavetable changes, new wave file format. Waves can now contain multiple levels* sampled at different note
ok yeah that clears it up i wasn't setting the different layers to a different sample note . I was thinking that this was a way around having to create multiple tracks in unwieldy if I want to say have 27 kick drums hit at once (clearly a necessity ) ;)
tinga

Post by tinga »

Layers are great, 120 samples (not 128 like in sf2/xs1) by slot.
This bmx just for try, copy/paste works but only C0 to A#6 or B6 are restored, maybe i'm the first to have made a complete layer, to erase a sample take a long time on a complete layer, the first i've made i added 128 samples, but Buzz seems to be only 120 notes (in fact peer tune adds 2 more octaves) , 12 years i use buzz and i realise just it now.
In templates it doesn't work.
Polac wavetable for buzz gen + multi layers in wavetable+ br808 (a very nice machine with 128x128 slot saved in presets with polac vst) give us many ways to store tons of samples in just one file, don't forget the genial notebook where you can strore what you want, sf2/xs1 .
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

Mesmerizing. Like it.
don't forget the genial notebook where you can strore what you want, sf2/xs1 .
notebook?
tinga

Post by tinga »

snowglobe wrote:notebook?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144&hilit=notebook

A very useful rich text editor.
Some-E

Post by Some-E »

tinga wrote:Layers are great, 120 samples (not 128 like in sf2/xs1) by slot.
Right. I can't get 7 layers to work correctly. Maybe it's the Matilde Tracker? Trying Jeskola...

EDIT 1: No, it was not MTrk2. The wave layer editor is just horrible.
- does not sort correctly by root note
- does not always set the root note I've selected
- cannot reorder manually?
- should display the filename for having a clue

I've spent one hour with 7 layers. I hope one day it will work.

Of course it can be my original samples, that I've named them wrong and thus making wrong root note settings. Rewind rewind!!

EDIT 2: No, I didn't name them wrong. I noticed:
- the edit is finally saved when visiting another layer after edit
- layer display order may change unexpectedly for some reason (hard to verify, everything is hard)
- the display order of the layers is reset (restored to original) when visiting another slot (empty or occupied)
- you cannot save the instruments! -> how to move the multi-layer instrument to another slot? Or to another song? Yeah, templates, but the instrument slot...
- off-topic: sampling from a synth wasn't straight-forward. Even though I identified the layer changes in the synth, for some reason I can't replicate the sound as nicely with layers. There's some magic in the synth (Yamaha MU128 Pizzicato string, if you want to know).

Good nightie.
Some-E

Post by Some-E »

Some-E wrote:Right. I can't get 7 layers to work correctly. Maybe it's the Matilde Tracker? Trying Jeskola...
The Fix: use SoundFonts!

I vaguely remembered XS-1 supports SoundFonts (correct), then the question was how to create them? I had created some instruments in the 90's, maybe the software came with Creative sound card. But it's time to look for alternatives. I found Polyphone, and it did the 7-layer pizzicato so easily, I had to verify what happened, why don't I need to enter ANY INFO for the samples! I knew the reason why: the soft measures the fundamental pitch of each sample, and automatic distribution tool makes things, well, automatic :)

The pizzicato works even without volume envelope, it doesn't have audible envelope in the hardware synth either, just triggering. But the next instrument, Yamaha TG33 string patch I did in the 90's must have looping and envelope.

This all means: I'll be using buzz more again!